Earthy, freshly picked greens, salty feta, and succulent fish are staples in the Greek diet. The country’s cuisine, which is dominated by the use of olive oil and fresh vegetables, is widely considered as one of the healthiest in the world. Make the most of your next meal in Greece by dining at one of the country’s most historical restaurants.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One of Athens’ oldest restaurants, Strofi is located just under the Acropolis, which according to UNESCO World Heritage is the most complete ancient Greek monument that still exists today. Strofi has become a landmark eatery in Athens, known for its fantastic traditional Mediterranean cuisine, pleasant ambiance, and extraordinary view. Guests have included celebrities coming in for a relaxing meal after a performance at the Theatre of Herodes Atticus. For an entrée, try the goat cooked with gruyère, fresh tomatoes, and potatoes; or the lamb wrapped in vine leaves stuffed with feta cheese and gruyère served with boiled vegetables and potatoes.
Go back in time with the vintage, art nouveau decor of Ideal. You’ll find authentic Greek cuisine with a French bistro feel. The restaurant’s long and vibrant history includes being the site where important meetings between politicians were held. The professional staff makes guests feel comfortable and relaxed in this classic, family-run restaurant. Enjoy any of the Greek specialties on the menu, and don’t forget to order a bottle of one of Greece’s finest wines.
This traditional tavern is conveniently located in the heart of Plaka, an ancient town of Athens historically known as the ‘Neighborhood of the Gods.’ Zorbas Tavern is located under the Acropolis, and it is internationally acclaimed for serving traditional Greek meals like veal casserole, stamnas, and lamb zorbas as well as fine wines. Enjoy live music performed on guitar and bouzouki at weekends.
This fish tavern is located in a small port east of the city center, among the ruins of Hania’s old tanneries. The impressive architecture of the abandoned tanning factories, which were built in the 19th century, gives a historical edge to this otherwise modern restaurant. Thalassino Ageri is one of Crete’s top dining spots, and guests are seated right on the shoreline. The menu is reliant on whatever the fishmongers bring in that day.
This contemporary restaurant is located in a historical, converted cottage. The creators of this venue claim to be on a mission to discover the secrets, and enjoy the benefits of, the Crete diet which is based primarily on the natural products of the land of Crete, like olive oil, honey, and local herbs. The restaurant’s masterminds have worked to record hundreds of traditional, authentic recipes from all over the island to rediscover lost flavors of Crete. The restaurant’s produce is sourced locally and collected by the chefs with care, and even the wine sold at Peskesi is exclusively Cretan.
Platatnos Taverna has a long and riveting history as one of Athens’ oldest restaurants. The tavern has been highly praised for its unique atmosphere and its mouth-watering authentic Greek cuisine. The pastel pink and blue building opened its doors in 1932 on a quiet pedestrian street lined with shady plane trees, and it was immediately a hit among artists, writers, and poets of the day. Enjoy fresh, authentic grilled meats or fresh fish on the scenic outdoor patio.
Enjoy the elegant air of refined dining in Athens’ Spondi, a two-Michelin-starred restaurant. This modern eatery is located next to a historical hotspot—the Panathenian marble stadium where the first modern Olympic games took place in 1896. The menu changes with the seasons to utilize the best fresh produce and the food not only tastes great but is stylishly presented on every plate. The stone walls give the bougainvillea-covered garden on the outdoor patio a cozy, rustic feel.
Rakadiko Stoa Kouvelou
Rakadiko Stoa Kouvelou was created by Achilleas Kouvelos in 1890, and before it was used as a restaurant, used to be an inn. The upper floors were historically used as rented rooms, and on the ground floor guests could receive wine while their horses rested. The current building is still made of the original stone and old tiles from the 1900s. Today, the restaurant serves traditional meze plates (appetizers) and entrées made with local produce, and you can find the traditional Greek sweet loukouma, a pastry of deep-fried dough soaked in syrup, chocolate, or honey, in the loukouma shop.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.