7 Family-Friendly Greek Holiday Ideas
Lemnos Fort | © michael clarke stuff/WikiCommons
Going on holidays with the whole family can sometimes be more of a headache than a joyful retreat. Greece
, however, is one of the best destinations as it offers plenty of kid-friendly activities where every member of the family will find something to enjoy. Here is a list of suggestions and ideas that will captivate both young and old, allowing you to fully enjoy your Greek vacations as a tight unit.
This green island is covered in lush vegetation and features some of the best sandy beaches in Greece.
- Sightseeing: Listed on the UNESCO World Heritage List, the Old Town and its narrow streets are a nice way to spend a day of exploration. Discover the many monuments and architectural works that dot the city center.
- Open air cinemas: Family-friendly movies and cartoons feature most evenings at one of the open air cinemas around the city.
- Aqualand Water Park: Aqualand water park is located in the heart of the island and is one of the biggest in Europe.
- Horse riding in nature: Trailriders Horse Trekking is owned by Sally-Ann Lewis, an American who used to manage cattle ranches in Wyoming, USA. Today she welcomes guests from age 6 to 60 to discover and fall in love with the hilly countryside of Corfu.
- Sidari Waterpark is a relaxed family-friendly hotel near the Canal d’Amour beach, in the northern part of the island. Providing free access to the waterpark, it features many slides and pools.
- Sunset Hotel Corfu is conveniently-located hotel about two kilometers outside of Corfu Town. It features a pool and garden for a relaxing stay.
Paired with a rich history and sandy beaches, and various direct connections from abroad, it comes as no surprise that Rhodes is a top family-friendly destination in Greece.
- Sightseeing: Rhodes has many diverse sights to visit, such as the medieval city of Rhodes, the ancient city of Lindos and its acropolis, and the castles near Monolithos and Kritinia.
- Water sports: Prassonissi beach is a must-see; the beach is a major windsurfing hotspot and allows you to swim where the Mediterranean and the Aegean seas meet.
- The Butterfly Valley: This little green paradise is located less than 30 kilometers away from Rhodes town. Home to a rare species of the Panaxia Quadripunctaria family, the valley is a major attraction ideal for a day in nature.
- The Aquarium of Rhodes: This venue serves as a research center, an aquarium and a museum. The aquarium is located in the basement and features a long corridor constructed as an underwater cave from which you can admire fish and other marine flora and fauna.
- Princess Andriana Resort & Spa is a paradise for families. With three pools, it has a full program of kid-oriented facilities such as a mini golf course and an arcade room (with air hockey tables, a mini pool table, and more).
- Sunshine Vacation Club is an all-in resort for relaxed family vacation. It offers plenty of activities for all ages: bicycle tours, scuba and tennis lessons, a beach volley or miniature golf – you name it, they’ve got it. The hotel also organizes cultural activities such as Greek dancing lessons, live music performances and other events.
Home to Europe’s earliest civilization as well as splendid beaches, beautiful nature and hospitable people, Crete is where you can enjoy the longest summer in Greece.
- Sightseeing: The island is big, so there is a lot to see: make sure to visit the Archaeological Museum in Iráklion as well as the Minoan sites (Knossos, Mália, Phaestos, Zakros), while Chania and Rethymno Old Towns are definitely worth a gander as well. For nature-based activities, the Dikteon Cave, the Samaria Gorge and Spinalonga island, officially known as Kalydon are great ‘outdoor’ activities.
- Visit Cretaquarium in Heraklion, one of the largest and most modern aquariums in Europe.
- Water Parks in Crete: Limnoupolis in Chania, WaterCity in Heraklion, Star Beach or Aqua Plus in Hersonissos.
- Atlantis Beach Hotel in Rethymno has a Blue Flag beach located one minute away from the hotel, and is overall only 1.5 kilometers away from the old town and the harbor.
- Conveniently situated less than a minute away from a sandy beach and the Hersonissos harbor, Star Beach Village boasts a vast pool complex with water slides and a well-equipped playground.
Well connected with Greece and the rest of Europe, Zakynthos, with its luxurious forest-covered hills, natural beauty and sandy beaches with turquoise waters, is another top destination for family vacation.
- Sightseeing: San Marco Square in Zakynthos town, the Venetian fort (also known as the Kastro), the Church of Ayios Dionysios, the Blue Caves and the Shipwreck Beach (Navagio), Keri caves.
- Gerakas beach: Probably one of the most beautiful sandy beaches on the island, Gerakas is a long beach where the water is shallow, making it ideal for children. It is also a major nesting hotspot for the Caretta turtles.
- An excursion to Zakynthos Marine Park is a fun activities adapted to every age. Both young and old will discover the fascinating underwater world of the island.
- Bitzaro Grande Hotel: Like many other hotels in the area, it has an outdoor pool but also counts a fitness center and restaurant amongst its amenities. Activities include tennis, table tennis and billiards – perfect when the weather is a fickle. The hotel also offers bike hire as the area is perfect for cycling.
Bitzaro Grande Hotel, Kalamaki, Zakynthos, Greece +30 2695 023344
Sandy beaches, exquisite local cuisine and charming Cycladic architecture – this is what you get in Naxos. The island has been spared from mass tourism which allows it to keep an authentic vibe.
- Beach day, all day, every day! Naxos has wonderful beaches where the whole family can enjoy a nice day out; Agios Giorgos, Agios Prokopios, Agia Anna, and Plaka are your best bet and offer plenty of water sports and fun activities.
- On hot days, take a break from the heat and follow the hiking paths meandering through the beautiful wilderness and picturesque villages.
- Horse riding on the beach: Naxos Horse Riding offers riding tours to Naxos beaches for all ages and experience level.
- Aqua Fun Water Park is an excellent place where the kids can enjoy a day of fun while you lounge and relax by the pool. The facilities include a volley court.
- Naxos Island Hotel is a boutique hotel located near Agios Prokopios beach with a rooftop infinity pool and refined Cycladic architecture. It is located near the Archaeological Museum of Naxos, which also deserves a visit on the days you want a break from the beach.
- Panorama Hotel Naxos is a top family-friendly hotel as it features spacious rooms in an ideal location.
Located in the northern part of the Aegean Sea, Limnos (or Lemnos) is a nice island off the beaten track that deserves more attention. Blessed with natural beauty, a fascinating rocky landscape and geologic treasures, Limnos is worth exploring.
- Water sports: If you enjoy kite or windsurfing, Limnos is ideal due to its location; check out Keros surf club. Situated on a sandy beach where the Meltemi winds are always blowing, the club is perfect for families. Older teens and parents can enjoy the joys of surfing, kitesurfing and windsurfing while the youngers kids (from four to 12) can spend the day at the Kids’ Club open daily from 10am-8pm.
- Sightseeing: Lemnos is home to some interesting archaeological sites such as Poliochni, considered as the oldest European settlement in the country, as well as Ifestia, the ancient temple of Kavirio, and the Byzantine Castle of Myrina, Lemnos’ capital city. You can also visit the three lakes of the island (Alyki, Chortarolimni and Asprolimni) which house diverse ecosystems with massive flocks of migrant birds, rabbits and rare flora species.
- Zematas beach (near Kavirio) and Thanos are two beautiful spots you must visit on days you want to have a relaxing time on the beach.
- Keros Surf Club offers a variety of accommodation options. Try your hand at glamping in the luxury and mini safari tents or stay in a studio.
- Lemnos Village Resort Hotel is located on one of the most beautiful beaches on the island, Plati beach, and only 2,5 kilometers away from Myrina, the island’s main town. Featuring bungalows, the hotel also has family suites and double and triple rooms with connecting rooms for groups and family.
Last but not least, Athens is another excellent destination for families. Home to many sightseeing attractions, there is plenty of activities to keep the children busy.
- Besides the obvious, the Acropolis and its museum and the Ancient Agora, you could bring a book of Greek myths to illustrate the various discoveries done during the day.
- Take a virtual tour of Ancient Greece at the Hellenic Cosmos or discover the riches of our universe at the Planetarium.
- The War Museum is a favorite for children as they get the chance to sit inside the cockpit of a WWII plane and see real-life aircraft in the museum’s yard.
- For pure entertainment and fun, hear to Allou Fun Park, Athens’ largest amusement park. It features two parks; the Allou Fun park for children, teens and adults, and Kidom, geared towards children.
- The Children’s Museum is another fun activity to do with the kids. There, they get to develop observation skills, and gain a better understanding of everyday life through games.
- Spend a day at the zoo at the Attica Zoological Park and see penguins, parrots, lemurs, giraffes, flamingos, pumas and hippos. You could even adopt an animal and help with the work done at the zoo.
- A For Athens is conveniently located on Monastiraki Square in the Psirri district. Featuring large connecting rooms ideal for family, it is an ideal spot to stay whilst exploring this ancient city.
- New Hotel is located near Syntagma and Plaka. With spacious interconnecting rooms, a convenient location and a top-notch restaurant, New Hotel is a great hotel for large families.