Guatemala is home to some of the best volcanoes in the world, and anyone who’s an adventurer at heart will feel the urge to get out and conquer a few of them. But with over 25 active, dormant and extinct volcanoes to choose from, deciding which ones to climb can be tricky. Struggling to make up your mind? Here are six of the best.
Acatenango might well be Guatemala’s best known hike, thanks to its stunning views over Guatemala’s long chain of volcanoes and the ever-erupting Fuego next door. It’s also one of the tougher climbs, with a steep two-day ascent through fields, forest and volcanic ash.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Fuego is the real star of the show. Weather permitting, you’ll be treated to a stunning series of eruptions from base camp, loud enough to wake up even the deepest of sleepers. And a good thing too, since the views of the volcano at night are by far the best.
No list of the best volcanoes to climb in Guatemala would be complete without Tajumulco. At 4222m it’s not only country’s biggest but in all of Central America. Perhaps surprisingly then, most consider this to be an easier ascent than Acatenango, mostly because the hike starts at an already lofty 3000m and isn’t as steep as some of its neighbours.
Tajumulco can be hiked in a day, but for the best views book in with a tour and camp out near the peak. Altitude sickness can be an issue with Tajumulco, so if possible acclimatise in nearby Xela for a few days first.
San Pedro certainly isn’t an easy climb, but it is one of the simplest volcanoes to tackle in Guatemala. The hike starts from the town of San Pedro la Laguna, one of the most popular places to stay on Lake Atitlan. It only takes half a day, and the entrance fee to the park includes a guide.
That simplicity means that lots of people try to take on San Pedro, but the difficulty of the climb ensures that not all of them make it to the top. Those who do are rewarded with one of the best views around Lake Atitlan.
For something a little bit different, consider climbing Volcan Chicabal. At 2900m, it certainly isn’t the tallest peak in the country, but the sacred crater-lake at the summit makes it one of the most unique.
Descending through cloud forest with the sound of Mayan rituals off in the distance is an unforgettable experience. And for a few quetzales, taking a pickup back down the treacherous dirt track is pretty unforgettable too.
Santa Maria towers over the city of Xela—somewhat menacingly, given the destruction wreaked from its eruptions in 1902 and 1929. Today, most of the volcano’s activity is centred on Santiaguito, a lava dome on its side that erupts semi-regularly. The hike up to the top has great views of Santiaguito, as well as the stunning countryside all around.
For the best Santa Maria experience, take the two-day full moon tour.
Another active volcano in Guatemala is Pacaya, situated around an hour’s drive from Antigua. It’s one of the easier ways to get up close and personal with an active volcano during a stay in the country.
Pacaya is usually tackled in a single day, and its eruptions tend to be a touch calmer than nearby Fuego. While hikers are unlikely to see red-hot lava cascading down its side, they will get the opportunity to toast marshmallows on volcanic rock.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.