Video Commissioning Editor (China)
The Culture Trip is one of the internet’s fastest-growing media/tech start-ups, attracting 4 million monthly readers and 1 million social media followers. We will soon be operating in over 100 countries around the world and we have major offices in London, NYC and Tel Aviv.
We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers and photographers. We won UK Website of the Year Award for Arts & Culture (2014) and were recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing British businesses to watch in 2017. The Culture Trip has already attracted a strong base of writers and contributors, a top team of engineers in Tel Aviv and has two senior Google executives on its Board – Dr Nelson Mattos and Yariv Adan. The company is now backed by heavyweight backers in US and Europe, is set for explosive growth and going through a major recruitment drive for its editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is bold: we aim to create the world’s largest media company, powered by a global community and cutting-edge technology. Expanding into the Chinese market forms part of our plans for 2017.
We are looking for a bilingual (Chinese-Mandarin and English), ambitious, and experienced professional based in our London office to remotely manage a group of videographers in various cities and countries (hubs) around the world. The video content produced by your videographers would be primarily for a Chinese audience in the Mandarin language. As a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of locals and visitors experience their cities. We will need you to be methodical while retaining a creative edge for strategic brainstorming to find new, better approaches to ensuring the success of our hub system.
We offer an independent and dynamic working environment with plenty of potential to make an impact, and the opportunity to work on exciting content in cooperation with our four departments: editorial, social media, commercial and tech. You will form part of our China team, based in our London office.
Location: Central London
Start Date: ASAP
- You will work with both English and Mandarin content across the following genres: travel, food, fashion, art, design, film, literature, music, real estate & architecture, sports, tech & entrepreneurship, and health & wellness.
- Remotely manage and lead a group of freelance mandarin-speaking videographers across a number of locations worldwide and under the supervision of our China Managing Editor.
- Work with the editorial video team on footage ingest and editing to produce quality hub videos.
- Develop useful, inspiring and insightful stories to commission across your portfolio of cities/countries, tailored specifically to a Chinese audience.
- Oversee the output of the cities/countries you manage, paying careful attention to issues related to both quality and quantity of content..
- Recruit freelance videographers on a regular basis or as needed.
- You will need to evaluate and revise systems under pressing deadlines.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- At least 2 years’ experience in media and/or publishing as an editor or video production assistant.
- Native Mandarin and proficient English language skills are desired.
- Exceptionally strong in editorial, with an eye for compelling ideas for content across a selection of locations and interests.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience working with and editing video formats.
- Superb management, organizational and people skills are an absolute must.
- Previous remote management experience is a strong asset.
- You need a self-starting attitude and be confident to interact with team members and potential partners, both in person and over the phone or Skype.
- Aptitude for web analytics is desirable, including experience with Google Analytics or other related software.
- Awareness of the Chinese media landscape and experience of Chinese social media platforms is desired.
- You should be comfortable working within a global company and liaising across different time zones.
- You need to be an enthusiastic and dynamic yet collaborative team player with a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility.
- The right to work in England is absolutely necessary.
How to Apply:
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please also state your current salary and notice period. Please note we will not be considering incomplete applications. Make sure you include ‘Video Commissioning Editor (China)’ in the subject line of your email.
We’re accepting applications until 20 January 2017, and would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.