Senior Copy Editor
Culture Trip is one of the Internet’s fastest-growing media start-ups, attracting nearly 3 million monthly readers and 1 million social media followers. Operating in dozens of countries around the world, we have major offices in London, NYC and Tel Aviv.
We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the planet through our global community of writers, videographers and photographers. We won UK Website of the Year Award for Arts & Culture (2014) and were named one of 25 UK Tech Companies to Watch (2013).
Culture Trip has already attracted a strong base of writers and contributors, a top team of engineers in Tel Aviv and has two senior Google executives on its Board – Dr Nelson Mattos and Yariv Adan. With support from heavyweight backers in the US and Europe, the company is set for explosive growth and is going through a major recruitment drive for its editorial, commercial, technology and social teams. Our vision is bold: we aim to create the world’s largest media company, powered by a global community and cutting-edge technology. The company adopts a mobile-first UX strategy.
We’re looking for a sharp-eyed, diligent, dynamic individual to ensure our stories are perfect from an editorial standpoint. You will be in charge of supervising the quality of a range of local content pre-publication, from biographical features on artists to listicles on the best dining spots in your city. You will ensure that all published material has been proofread according to The Culture Trip’s standards, guaranteeing impeccable editorial quality across the board, while optimizing the articles you edit for search engines and social.
Location: Central London
- Proofread and edit the articles published on theculturetrip.com, ensuring that they adhere to our house style and contain no grammatical, stylistic or other errors.
- Monitor the quality of our copy editors’ work.
- Work with content from across the following verticals: travel, food, fashion, art, design, film, books, music, real estate & architecture, sports, tech & entrepreneurship, health & wellness.
- Build, distribute and evangelize a house style.
- Assist in the recruitment, onboarding and training of new copy editors.
- Design, organize and lead training sessions for copy editors (technical, SEO, editorial, etc.).
- Offer regular editorial feedback to copy editors.
- Optimize the proofreading process with the aim of maximizing output and quality.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years of experience in media and/or publishing, as a copy editor, editorial assistant or sub-editor.
- Exceptionally strong copy editing skills with a sharp eye and an allergy to typos, grammatical mistakes and stylistic inconsistencies.
- Native-level English is a crucial prerequisite.
- Excellent self-management and organizational skills are an absolute must.
- Excellent at working independently and as a part of a team.
- Strong understanding of what makes a great piece of content and how to engage readers with excellent copy.
- Strong understanding of the nuances of social media and search engine optimized content.
- Familiarity with WordPress is highly desirable.
- Academic excellence and a degree of intellectual gravitas are important.
- You need a self-starting attitude and confidence to interact with writers and potential partners, both in person and over the phone or Skype.
- You will need to evaluate and revise systems under pressure, and in short, dynamic, test-driven runs.
- You need to be an enthusiastic and dynamic yet collaborative team player with a high degree of integrity and personal responsibillity.
- You should be comfortable working within a global company and liaising across different time zones.
How to Apply
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please note we will not be considering incomplete applications. Make sure you include ‘Senior Copy Editor’ in the subject line of your email.
We’re accepting applications until 30 November 2016, and would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.