City-Based Freelance Writers (English)
Culture Trip is one of the Internet’s fastest-growing media start-ups, attracting nearly 3 million monthly readers and 1 million social media followers. Currently operating in 40 countries around the world, we have major offices in London, NYC and Tel Aviv.
We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers and photographers. We won UK Website of the Year Award for Arts & Culture (2014) and were named one of 25 UK Tech Companies to Watch (2013).
Culture Trip has already attracted a strong base of writers and contributors, a top team of engineers in Tel Aviv and has two senior Google executives on its Board – Dr Nelson Mattos and Yariv Adan. With heavyweight backers in the US and Europe, we are set for explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is bold: we aim to create the world’s largest media company, powered by a global community and cutting-edge technology.
We are looking for an experienced freelance writer to produce local content covering a range of genres: travel, food, art, fashion, literature, film, TV, music, architecture, home & design, tech, health & wellness and sports. You will be remotely managed by a Culture Trip Commissioning Editor based in our London office.
Salary: Competitive, with work paid per article
Start Date: 4 January 2017
- Write a large number of snappy, shareable stories (in the following formats: news articles, listicles, short features, visual pieces, profiles, interviews), as set by a Culture Trip Commissioning Editor based in London
- Create great stories, using the following assets produced & sourced by the Writer: sharp copy, license-free imagery (through a filtered Google Image search, Flickr, and stock photography sites), embeds from YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Follow Culture Trip’s style guide in the production of all content
- Ensure the regular, consistent submission of all content on a schedule agreed upon with your assigned Commissioning Editor
Desired Skills and Experience:
- At least 1 year of experience writing for a variety of online publications on a freelance basis
- A varied portfolio, preferably with a focus in travel and arts & culture writing
- Specialist knowledge of specific locations or areas within your country
- Ability to maintain an authoritative editorial voice across all content
- Ability to work quickly yet thoroughly, producing a large amount of quality content to tight deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills are an absolute must
- Strong understanding of what makes a great piece of content
- Strong understanding of the differences between social media- and search engine-optimized content
- Working knowledge of WordPress is essential
- Passion for all things culture
- A defined editorial voice
- Ability to work diligently and independently
- Receptive to editorial guidance and feedback, delivered by your assigned Commissioning Editor
How To Apply
Email us on email@example.com, attaching your CV, a short cover letter and providing writing samples or a link to your portfolio.
In your cover letter, make sure to indicate which specific regions or cities within your country that you’re most familiar with, and how.
Please also state your current salary/freelance rate and any notice period in your email.
Make sure you include ‘[Name of Region] Writer’ in the subject line.
Please note we will not be considering incomplete applications.
We are looking for writers from the following locations:-
London – Paris -Belgium – England – Scotland – Wales – Ireland – Germany – France – Italy – Croatia – Montenegro – Slovenia – Austria – Switzerland – Poland – Spain – Portugal – Turkey – Greece – Hungary – Bulgaria – Romania – Czech Republic – Slovakia – Russia – Sweden – Norway – Finland – Iceland – Denmark – Baltic states – New York – Washington, DC – Miami – Boston – Chicago – Orlando – Texas (Austin) – Nashville – New Orleans – California – West Coast, USA – Canada – Mexico – Hong Kong – China – India – Sri Lanka – Japan – Korea – Taiwan – Malaysia – Singapore – Indonesia – Cambodia – Maldives – Philippines – Vietnam – Burma – Thailand – Australia – New Zealand – Pacific Islands (Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Tahiti) – Israel – UAE – Jordan – Oman – Iran – Lebanon – South Africa – Morocco – Egypt – Tunisia – Ghana – Nigeria – Kenya – African Islands – Puerto Rico – Cuba – Brazil – Colombia – Bolivia – Uruguay / Paraguay – Peru – Chile – Argentina – Ecuador – Costa Rica
We’re accepting applications on an ongoing basis, and would like the successful candidate to start in early January 2017.