The Culture Trip is one the Internet’s fastest-growing media start-ups, attracting nearly 3 million monthly readers and 1 million social media followers. Operating in 15 countries around the world, and with major offices in London, NYC and Tel Aviv, we plan to expand to 30 countries in 2016 and 100 in 2017. We are passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers and photographers. We won UK Website of the Year Award for Arts & Culture (2014) and were named one of 25 UK Tech Companies to Watch (2013). Having just secured major funding, the company is set for explosive growth and going through a major recruitment drive for its editorial, commercial and social teams in London and NYC. Our vision is bold: we aim to create the world’s largest media company, powered by a global community and cutting-edge technology.
We are looking for an ambitious, experienced professional to form and manage, together with a colleague, a Fashion team and operation within the editorial department, focused on fashion-related content. As a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit, you should have a desire to build a rich content offering from scratch. We will need you to be methodical while retaining a creative edge for strategic brainstorming and thinking outside the box. You will also need to autonomously find new, better approaches to expanding our content offering within your genre.
We offer an independent, dynamic and ambitious working environment with plenty of potential to leave a mark, and the opportunity to work on exciting content across our four departments – social, editorial, commercial and tech. We’re data- and social-driven (think Buzzfeed, but more substantial), with a solid intellectual backbone (think FT Weekend, but more accessible). You will be part of the wider editorial team split across London and NYC, and report directly to the Managing Editor in London. Other departments within editorial include the local hubs (30 cities), as well as the following in-house genres: travel, books, food, art, design, film, music, real estate & architecture, sports, tech & entrepreneurship, health & wellness.
Location: London (a parallel role is available in NYC, too)
Starting date: ASAP
– Build up, expand and manage the Fashion department/operation at The Culture Trip, with a particular focus on generating strategy, ideas and growing a network of contributors within your genre
– Together with the hubs’ managerial team, guide The Culture Trip’s hub system in producing compelling content on Fashion, paying extra attention to SMO and SEO. You should take the lead on generating ideas for useful, evergreen content and newsworthy topics (listicles, features, interviews, reviews, and others)
– Write news or feature content whenever appropriate or necessary
– Develop and implement new content propositions within your genre under the guidance of the Managing Editor and/or Editor-in-Chief
– Manage and recruit a group of ad hoc contributors from around the world, whose expertise is Fashion-related content
– Optimize the articles under your genre for social media and search engines, paying careful attention to how much buzz they are generating across the web
– Actively participate in conceiving and building out our Fashion offering on video channels, including YouTube
– Monitor the quality of the genre-specific content
– Carefully monitor the success rates of posts and re-evaluate in short, test-driven runs, via the analytics tools available
– Contribute to the growth, strategy and daily management of the Fashion-specific social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest) alongside the social media team
– Collaborate with the commerce team on branded content and commercial partnerships within your genre
– Work with external partners and stakeholders on enriching the company’s genre-specific content offering (chefs, bloggers, restaurants, partner publications…)
– We may ask you to attend fashion events on our behalf, or make arrangements to send contributors
Desired Skills and Experience:
– 5-10 years of professional experience in an editorial department, with a specific focus on Fashion
– At least 3 years of experience in a managerial or strategic role. Previous remote management experience is a strong asset
– Proven experience writing, editing and commissioning successful content on Fashion
– An unquenchable love for all things fashion, from jewellery designers in China to fashion Instagrammers in LA to haute couture in Paris, and an impressive industry wherewithal on a global level
– Experience in producing successful video and social media-optimized content is desirable
– Great contacts in the industry
– Excellent management, organisational and people skills are an absolute must
– Exceptionally strong editor with an eye for compelling ideas for content across a selection of locations and interests
– Strong understanding of what makes a great piece of content and how to engage readers with excellent copy
– Strong understanding of the differences between social media and search engine optimized content, and an intimate familiarity with SEO
– Aptitude for data collection and analysis is desirable; experience with Google Analytics or Social Media Analytics or any other software is essential
– Familiarity with WordPress is essential
– Academic excellence and a degree of intellectual gravitas is important
– Passion for culture, travel, art, lifestyle will come in handy
– You need a self-starting attitude and be confident to interact with writers and potential partners, both in person and over the phone or Skype
– You will need to evaluate and revise systems under pressure, and in short, dynamic, test-driven runs
– You need to be an enthusiastic and dynamic yet collaborative team player with a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility
– You should be comfortable working within a global company with people from different cultural backgrounds, and liaising across different time zones
How to Apply:
Email us on email@example.com, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Make sure you include ‘London Fashion Editor Application’ in the subject line of your email.
We’re accepting applications until 4 June 2016, and would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.