The Culture Trip is one of the internet’s fastest-growing media start-ups, attracting nearly 3 million monthly readers and 1 million social media followers. Operating in 40 countries around the world, we have major offices in London, NYC and Tel Aviv.
We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers and photographers. We won UK Website of the Year Award for Arts & Culture (2014) and were named one of 25 UK Tech Companies to Watch (2013). The Culture Trip has already attracted a strong base of writers and contributors, a top team of engineers in Tel Aviv and has two senior Google executives on its Board – Dr Nelson Mattos and Yariv Adan. The company is now backed by heavyweight backers in US and Europe and set for explosive growth and going through a major recruitment drive for its editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is bold: we aim to create the world’s largest media company, powered by a global community and cutting-edge technology. The company adopts a mobile-first UX strategy and a press announcement is planned for October.
We are looking for a perfectly bi-lingual (En-Ch) China Editor for our London office to coordinate the English-language China section on The Culture Trip website; coordinate our translation efforts; and act as a liaison person with the China office.
You need to be passionate about global and Chinese culture, travel and media, and know how to turn that interest into brilliant content. You are a self-starter with an eye for excellent visuals and copy. You should stay on top of local trends and always look out for ways to improve what you do.
Starting date: ASAP
- Your primary responsibility will be to update, curate and maintain the China section and ensure a fantastic user experience. You will work on the editorial and social media side, taking care of both text and video as well as local Chinese social media channels.
- You will look at user behaviour and data in determining how content is presented on the website and in our apps and social media channels.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Journalism or humanities graduate with a portfolio of published work in an editorial context (2-5 years experience).
- Evidence of interest in culture, media and travel; a solid knowledge of Chinese culture and media/social media.
- Native-equivalent English and Mandarin skills are an absolute must.
- Exceptionally strong writer with impeccable spelling and grammar, and the ability to tweak your voice depending on your audience.
- Strong understanding of what makes a great piece of content and how to engage readers with excellent copy.
- Solid understanding of the differences between social media and search engine optimized content.
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines.
- Great eye for compelling visuals and the ability to edit images and graphics in line with our house style (Photoshop, Canva).
- Basic HTML skills or willingness to learn quickly.
- Familiarity with WordPress is highly desirable.
- Academic excellence and a degree of intellectual gravitas is important.
- You should be comfortable working within a global company and liaising across different time zones.
How to Apply
Email us on email@example.com, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please note we will not be considering incomplete applications. Make sure you include ‘Editor-in-Chief (NYC)’ in the subject line of your email.
We’re accepting applications until 9 October 2016, and would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.