If you’ve ever dreamt of connecting to the ocean’s embrace, salt on your lips as you catch the perfect wave, but have never actually done it, then Bali is the perfect place to turn your surfing dream into reality.
The Island of the Gods isn’t just a haven for spiritual seekers and beach bums; it’s also a world-renowned surfing destination where beginners and pros alike find their watery playground.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The island’s southwest coast, kissed by the Indian Ocean, offers some of the most consistent and diverse waves in the world. From long, mellow rollers perfect for beginners to gnarly barrels that challenge even the most seasoned surfers, Bali’s coastline caters to all levels of wave rider.
The surf scene here is more than just a sport; it’s a way of life. You’ll find a vibrant surf culture that’s as welcoming as the rest of the island. Surfers from across the globe flock to Bali to experience its legendary breaks, and you can too, even if you’ve never touched a surfboard before.
Best Beaches for Beginners in Bali
When you’re just starting, it’s crucial to choose the right beach. Bali’s beaches cater to all levels and for beginners Kuta, Seminyak and Legian are the go-to spots. The gentle, rolling waves here are perfect for learning the basics.
Once you’ve found your feet a little, Canggu and Echo Beach offer slightly more challenging waves, providing an excellent transition to the intermediate level. The key is to match your skills to the beach’s conditions, and Bali has options for every stage of your journey.
Rentals and Gear
Before you hit the water, you’ll need the right gear. Fortunately, Bali boasts an abundance of surf shops. Whether you’re looking for a soft-top, a longboard, or a foam board, you’ll find it here.
Renting surf equipment in Bali is both convenient and budget-friendly, with prices ranging from $5 to $10 for a few hours or $10 to $20 for a full day. Most rentals also offer additional gear, such as leashes and fins. If you prefer not to lug your board around, some rental shops even offer delivery services to your chosen surf spot.
Surfing Lessons and Classes
Taking lessons is an excellent way to get started on the right foot (or board). Bali is home to a plethora of surf schools, both group and private, ensuring you can find the perfect fit for your learning style. Certified instructors will guide you through the fundamentals of paddling, popping up, and eventually riding the waves like a natural.
Group lessons are also a great way to meet fellow surf enthusiasts – sharing the same developmental journey is a great bonding experience, and the surf community is a place where you make friends for life.
Expect to pay around $25 to $50 for a two-hour group lesson, which often includes the board and a rash guard. If you prefer one-on-one attention, private lessons range from $40 to $70 per hour.
Surf camps are also an option for those looking to immerse themselves in the surf lifestyle for longer periods of time. These packages usually include accommodation, daily lessons and surf trips to various breaks, creating a well-rounded surfing holiday.
Safety and Seasonal Considerations
Safety always comes first in the world of surfing. Bali’s waves can be powerful, and it’s essential to respect the ocean at all times. Always follow safety guidelines, surround yourself with people who know what they’re doing and check the local surf conditions before paddling out. Don’t overestimate your ability, stick to gentler waves to begin and use a healthy amount of common sense.
The best time to surf in Bali largely depends on your skill level and comfort with different wave heights. Generally, the dry season (May to September) is ideal for beginners, as it brings smaller, more manageable waves. During the wet season (November to March), wave heights can increase significantly, providing a thrilling challenge for more experienced surfers.
Don’t forget surf etiquette, either. The surfing community is known for its camaraderie and hospitality, but it’s vital to follow the unwritten rules and show respect to other surfers. Wait your turn, don’t snake someone else’s wave, and avoid “drop-ins.”
General Tips for a Surf Holiday in Bali
Buses and minivans can usually take you to the most popular beaches, but consider renting a scooter for added freedom and flexibility as you search for the best beaches in Bali.
Chat to local surfers – there’s a lot of wisdom to be gained from people who know these waters like the back of their hands. Don’t hesitate to ask for advice!
Get involved in the community – get talking in surf shops, find out about the regular hang-out spots and check out beachfront cafes hosting social events.
Sun protection – don’t forget suncream, sunglasses and a rash guard to protect your skin from the tropical sun.
Respect the environment – Bali is renowned for its natural beauty. Be a responsible surfer by disposing your trash properly and respecting nature.
Flat wave days – when the waves are flat, Bali is not short of alternative adventures. Explore the island’s temples, waterfalls and vibrant markets. Go hiking through rice paddies or snorkeling with sea turtles.
Post-surf food – after a surf session, refuel with local favorites like nasi goreng (fried rice) or mie goreng (fried noodles).
Bali is a surfing paradise that welcomes beginners with open arms. The accessibility, range of waves and supportive surf community make it an ideal place to begin your surfing journey. With the right beach, perhaps a few lessons and some local insights, you’ll be riding Bali’s waves like a pro in no time. So, grab a board and catch your first wave on the Island of the Gods. Surf’s up!
This is an AI assisted article produced by Gethin Morgan.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.