While staying at a fancy resort or boutique hotel can be a lot of fun, it may take a humble homestay to immerse you fully into the local culture and quirky customs. For a fascinating, insightful and convenient traveling experience, discover our guide to homestay etiquette in Indonesia.
Take off your shoes
Taking off shoes before entering someone’s home is a common practice in many Asian countries. The custom has historical and cultural roots, but it’s also practical. Wearing your shoes inside the house after a long day of adventure outside will soil the floor. So, unless your host tells you it’s okay to leave them on, take your footwear off before entering the front door. Also, it may feel nice to be barefoot and let your feet breathe for a while.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This may sound like general courtesy, but most Indonesians are especially communal beings. Join their dining table for meals whenever you’re home. Hang out in the living room. Talk to your host, even if it’s just about the weather. In short, interact whenever you have the chance — you may learn more about the local culture at home than you will at museums and attractions.
Traveling with a partner
Many Indonesians are strict and traditional about the dynamics and interactions between each gender. Some hosts frown upon or even forbid non-married couples to stay in the same room. If you’re traveling with your partner, communicate and check with the host first. Even if they allow you to stay in the same room, mind your interactions and restrain yourselves from too much public display of affection.
Be it religious or cultural, many Indonesians take their traditions and rituals seriously. Prayer time, cultural festivals or religious items are not to be messed with. Be thoughtful enough to not bother your host during spiritual time. Some homes may even have sacred items around, like statues, prayer beads or prayer rugs; do not touch something unless you’re absolutely sure it’s OK.
Chances are, some Indonesians may feel uncomfortable having alcohol in their home, especially if they are Muslims. To be safe, just have your drinks at the bar, and do not come home drunk.
Let your hosts know your plan
You don’t want to keep your hosts waiting up for you to come home from a late-night culinary quest, or whatever adventure you go on. You also don’t want to wake them up when you embark on your sunrise-hunting trip at 2 a.m. Let them know your plans, and tell them there’s no need to wait up or wake up. Indonesians can be very hospitable and attentive, so letting them know all of your plans and needs will save them from unnecessary trouble.
Don’t cause your hosts to lose face
Avoid pointing out a shortcoming or making a demand that may cause your hosts to lose face. Do not talk about the place’s flaws in front of other guests or other people. Also, find a way to communicate your aspirations in a constructive and assertive way without blaming your hosts or making them feel bad.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.